Bug Stoppers provides termite inspection and control in Wichita and surrounding areas. Schedule an appointment at (316) 788-2847 .
WHAT ARE TERMITES?
- Termites are the major wood-destroying structural pests in the southern United States. According to some estimates, over $2 billion are spent annually controlling or preventing termite infestations.
- Termites have been able to survive for over 250 million years.
- The advent of centrally heated homes has made it possible for termites to become a threat in virtually every region and state in the U.S. Your home is naturally close to termite colonies. Foundations are usually built above the water table, and below the frost line, near where termites live.
- Termites only need a crack of sixty-fourth inch in the slab floor to gain entrance into your home.
- Termites need moisture to survive and will die if exposed to sunlight or open air. High moisture areas like basements and crawl spaces are very attractive to them and can serve as starting points for infestation.
- Termites are found in every part of the US except Alaska
- Termites damage more homes every year than fires.
- The cost of termite damage is about twice that of storm damage.
- Termite colonies can number in the millions.
- Termite queens can lay thousands of eggs a year and live for up to 30 years
- A mature colony eats one-fifth of an ounce of wood a day.
- Termites may survive independently of the soil if a moisture source is available.